Frozen pipes and burst pipes are frequent concerns during winter in the Havertown, PA area. While our team is ready to respond to emergency calls for such issues, proactive measures can help prevent these plumbing nightmares. Taking steps to safeguard your plumbing starts now, involving both timely actions by homeowners and assistance from qualified professional plumbers. Here are crucial tips to guide you through the process.
Winterizing Outdoor Plumbing
Outdoor plumbing systems are particularly susceptible to the harsh cold, making winterization a priority. Since you won’t be using your sprinkler system or outdoor faucets until spring, follow these steps:
- Turn off the water supply to outdoor lines:
- Shutting off the water prevents freezing and potential damage to pipes.
- Open the outlets and drain all water:
- Ensure all water is drained to keep pipes safe until spring.
Protecting Indoor Plumbing
Safeguarding indoor plumbing involves addressing potential vulnerabilities. Follow these steps to keep your indoor plumbing secure during cold weather:
- Add plumbing insulation over pipes in trouble spots:
- Identify areas such as outside walls or sections of the home like the basement with limited heating. Apply insulation to these trouble spots to provide an additional layer of protection.
- Seal cracks around wall holes where piping emerges:
- Cracks around holes where piping emerges can lead to air leaks, causing nearby pipes to become excessively cold. Fill spaces behind cracks with insulation and use caulking to properly seal empty spots around pipes.
- Run a trickle of water from all outlets during extremely cold weather:
- While it may seem like a small inconvenience, running a trickle of water helps prevent pipes from freezing. The minimal increase in your water bill is a worthwhile investment compared to potential damage prevention.
Professional Plumbing Assistance
Collaborating with professional plumbers can enhance the effectiveness of preventive measures. Consider scheduling sessions with plumbers to:
- Identify potential problem areas:
- Plumbers can identify areas prone to issues, especially pipes running along exterior walls, ensuring targeted preventive measures are in place.
- Install insulation on vulnerable pipes:
- Engage a plumber to install insulation on vulnerable pipes, enhancing their resistance to freezing temperatures.
Contact WM Henderson
While emergency calls for frozen or burst pipes are not uncommon during winter, a proactive approach to prevention is paramount. By working together with professional plumbers and implementing the outlined preventive measures, homeowners can significantly reduce the risk of frozen pipes and the consequential damage they may cause. As winter approaches, take these steps to ensure the health and longevity of your plumbing system, providing peace of mind throughout the colder months.
Call the professionals at WM Henderson Inc. for any problems with your home plumbing system!