It’s not particularly pleasant to think about your home’s sewer line, but should you experience a main sewer line clog, or have trouble removing wastewater from your home, there is a likely chance your sewer line should be repaired by a professional. Any kind of sewer work requires a trained, licensed and certified expert, all qualifications that the plumbing professionals at Wm. Henderson Plumbing & Heating Inc., hold. First, let’s review the signs that can indicate a sewer line backup:
- Gurgling sounds from drains – are your drains gurgling every time you use them? This means there are unwanted air pockets in the pipe that are releasing air each time water passes through, which can indicate that a leak or crack has developed.
- Slow drainage – if the majority of your drains are draining slowly, this is a good indication of a main sewer line clog
- Toilet won’t flush – if the sewer pipe is backed up from a clog, your toilets will no longer work.
- Foul odors – breaks in a sewer line don’t just release dirty water, they also release an unmistakable odor.
- Puddles in the yard – water released by a sewer line backup will make its way to the surface, creating puddles in your yard.
So what are some of the causes of sewer line backups? Here are a few common ones:
- Tree roots – tree roots are notorious for infiltrating sewer lines and/or crushing them, creating significant damage to the line.
- FOG (fats, oils, grease) – FOG are some of the worst items to put in a drain as they cling, stick and solidify, creating a messy glop that when large enough, can create a major blockage.
- Mud – dirt shouldn’t be present in your sewer pipes, but if it is, it won’t breakdown and wash away like other materials; instead, it settles to the bottom and creates a severe main sewer line clog
- Disposal of improper materials – some people treat their toilets like a garbage and the truth is your sewer line plumbing is designed to manage only human waste and toilet paper. When other items are consistently flushed down into the system, a blockage can develop.
Have concerns that your main sewer line is clogged? WM Henderson offers main sewer line clog repair services in areas of Pennsylvania such as West Chester, Coatesville, Conshohocken, and Broomall. We also offer other plumbing services such as drain cleaning, water heater repair, and water line installation. Give us a call by phone at (484) 206-8594 to receive assistance.
Read More: Negative Effects of Hard Water in Pipes