If you’re in need of plumbing replacement, you may be wondering what type of pipes your plumber will use. While copper piping has become the standard hard pipe in the plumbing industry, and has been used in plumbing applications for many years. It is only since the 1970s that plastic piping has offered a viable alternative to copper plumbing. In this post, we’d like to run you through the pros and cons of copper piping so that you and your plumber can make an informed decision about what’s right for your home and your plumbing requirements. For more information about copper piping, or to schedule a Springfield, PA plumbing service, call Wm. Henderson Plumbing Heating Cooling Services today!
As a tried and tested standard of the plumbing industry, copper offers many pros, including:
- Durability: While it’s ductile enough to be used for fittings and joints, copper is incredibly durable. In addition to its fire resistance, it is also corrosion resistant. Its rigidity allows for less supports when spanning distances, and it maintains alignment under pressurized conditions.
- Malleability: Plumbers love copper because of its strength and malleability. Sweating copper pipes is one the basic techniques of the residential plumber.
- Fire resistance: Copper has a high thermal rating, making it resistant to fires. For homeowners concerned with using fire retardant materials, copper makes an excellent choice.
That said, there are some potential cons to take into account, as well:
- Cost: The major reason for the rise of alternative piping is cost. Copper piping is more expensive than plastic piping, such as polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or cross-linked polyethylene (PEX). The latter is quickly becoming a standard in many residential applications for its strength and flexibility.
- Metallic flavor: While it is minimal, copper piping may add a metallic flavor to your drinking water, which may be off-putting for some homeowners.
Remember to discuss your options with a plumbing professional in order to receive the most up-to-date information on piping. For Springfield, PA plumbing services, call the experts at Wm. Henderson Plumbing Heating Cooling Services today!